There is a Students’ Council as specified in The Maharashtra Universities Act, 1994 Section 40 2(b) for each conducted College or Institution of the University and each affiliated College, to look after the welfare of the students and to promote and co-ordinate the extra-curricular activities of different student’s associations for better corporate life. The Council shall not engage in political activities.
The Students’ Council for each Institution, conducted College and affiliated College consist of:-
- The Principal—Chairman,
- One lecturer, nominated by the Principal,
Teacher in charge of The National Cadet Corps,
- The National Service Scheme Programme Officer,
- One student from each class, who has shown academic merit at the examination held in the preceding year and who is engaged in full-time studies in the College, nominated by the Principal.
- Director of Sports and Physical Education,
One student from each of the following activities, who has shown outstanding performance, nominated by the Principal, namely:-
- National Service Scheme and Adult Education
- National Cadet Corps
- Cultural Activities
viii) Two lady students nominated by the Principal;
2) The student members of this Council shall elect from amongst themselves the Secretary of the Council.
College is also a training ground for students to develop skills of good governance. Hence these elections are organized to help them practice these skills and learn the skill of representation. Hence the students have an experience in the skills of democratic representation and participation. As per the Maharashtra Universities Act, (M.U.A.) 1994 section 40, Students’ Council is to be established every year during the first term.
As per clause 3 of Section 40 (3) of the said M.U. Act, 1994 each college / institute has to elect one university representative. The name of the said student is then to be communicated to the Director, Board of Students’ Welfare immediately on the date specified. Late nominations will not be entertained. As per section 40 (2) (b) of the said M. U. Act, 1994 the college / institute has to from the Students Council and inform the names of the same to the Director, Board of Students’ Welfare. As per section 40 (2) (a) there will be a University Departments Student Council who in turn will elect its University representative. After completion of the above, 15 members will be nominated to the university Students Council as per provisions of section 40 (4) (a) of the M.U. Act, 1994 by the Vice-Chancellor. Further as per section 40 (4) (6) of the M.U. Act, 1994 the President and Secretary of the North Maharashtra University Students Council will be elected as per provisions of the said section of the M.U. Act, 1994.
THE AIM OF STUDENTS COUNCIL
1. To improve academics, co-curricular, cultural and extracurricular activities.
2. To motivate the students for team work.
3. To acquire leadership qualities.
4. To learn event managements.
5. To interact with college management to resolve the difficulties of the students in day to day activities.
THE ACTIVITIES OF STUDENT COUNCIL
1. To organize state, national or university level events in each year to motivate students to participate events.
2. To organize the college level event annual social gathering each year which includes cultural and sports events
3. Celebration of Nationally important days like Independence day, Republic day etc., to develop the feeling and sense of nationalism
4. To celebrate Teacher day and National Science Day.
5. To organize blood donation camp, tree plantation, voter‘s awareness programs in association with institute level association/professional bodies, etc.
6. To organize above events, funds are given by institute.