Rules Against Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment is illegal and very costly, to both individuals and institutions. It creates an unproductive and disruptive environment that has far reaching negative impacts. The following information is designed to help with recognition and prevention of sexual harassment, as well as provide strategies for individual and institutional responses.
It is an illegal form of sex discrimination, which is prohibited by Title VII of the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 USC § 2000e), Title IX of the Federal Education Act of 1972 (20 USC § 1681a), and Kentucky’s Civil Rights Act (KRS 344).
Sexual harassment laws are violated when submission to or rejection of this conduct
- explicitly or implicitly affects an individual’s employment or education,
- unreasonably interferes with an individual’s performance or promotion, or
- creates an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work or learning environment.
- If You Are An Employer or Educational Institution remember that failure to prevent and/or stop harassment can result in liability and penalties.
- Develop a clear sexual harassment policy, to be distributed to all personnel and students/parents.
- Establish and publicize a confidential grievance procedure.
- Train key personnel on how to identify, report, and address sexual harassment.
- Include information about sexual harassment in all orientation trainings, as well as in other settings.
- Include information about sexual harassment in routine or periodic trainings and publications.
- Prominently post guidelines prohibiting sexual harassment.
- Respond swiftly to all complaints, formal and informal.
- Consistently apply consequences to perpetrators and send the message that harassment absolutely is not tolerated.
- Provide adequate supervision and security.
- Promote discussions of sexual harassment and bullying.
- Ask other workers and students to report.
- Promote collaboration between victims’ service providers and Title IX officers or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) officers
Committee against sexual harassment
Name of Committee member
Dr. D.R. Patil
Dr. A. G. Sonawane
Mrs. D.K. Patil
Dr. Smt. J. P. Mahashabde
Dr. P.Y Magare
Dr. R.S. Pawar
Mrs. A. B. Jadhav